Avoiding cavities, also commonly known as tooth decay, is one of the more important things someone can do to ensure their overall good oral health. When someone is diagnosed with a cavity, it means that they have permanently damaged the tooth. In order for them to have their tooth fixed, they will need to make an appointment with a dentist to have the cavity filled. This dental filling is necessary in order to protect the tooth from being lost, as the integrity of the tooth has been jeopardized. Teeth are meant to last an entire lifetime and when one of them has a cavity, there is a possibility that it will be lost forever.
What causes cavities?
A cavity is caused when plaque is not removed from the teeth in a timely manner. This is why it is so essential for everyone to brush their teeth at least twice a day, as this helps to remove any plaque buildup on the teeth. Plaque contains acids that harm a tooth’s enamel, which is what protects the tooth from any outside elements that can jeopardize its overall health. Once plaque is able to infiltrate past the enamel of the tooth, it is only a matter of time before a cavity forms.
Keeping away cavities
There are quite a few preventative measures that someone can do in order to avoid being diagnosed with one or more cavities in their mouth. Those looking for ways to keep away cavities should utilize as many of these preventative measures as possible, as this will give them the highest chances of success when it comes to having a cavity-free mouth.
The following list includes many things someone can do to avoid being diagnosed with cavities:
- Brush the teeth using a soft-bristled toothbrush and a fluoridated toothpaste a minimum of two times a day.
- Floss the teeth at least once a day, which helps to remove any food particles stuck in between the teeth.
- Consume foods and drinks that support healthy teeth, like fruits and vegetables. Consuming foods and drinks that are full of unhealthy sugars is one of the quickest ways someone can be diagnosed with a cavity.
- Dental sealants can be used to protect the teeth from outside elements. In fact, the Center for Disease Control and Prevention recommends that sealants be used for all school-age children, as they last for many years.
- Fluoride treatments can help protect the teeth. These treatments are important for those who are not getting their recommended amount of fluoride, as insufficient fluoride is a leading cause of tooth decay.
- Make regular dental appointments, as this allows a dentist to find cavities in their earliest stages. This helps to prevent a cavity from becoming so bad that it jeopardizes the overall health of the tooth.
Once someone is diagnosed with cavities, they will need their cavities filled in order to stop the damage. When a cavity is not addressed as soon as possible, it will only continue to get worse, which can easily lead to the loss of the tooth. Once a tooth is lost, it is lost forever! A missing tooth requires a replacement, as a healthy mouth is one that has a full set of teeth.
Check out what others are saying about our services on Yelp: Read our Yelp reviews.
Wondering if you are in need of denture repair because your dentures no longer fit like they used to? If your dentures are no longer as comfortable to wear as they used to be, then …
Teeth whitening is a popular procedure that helps to restore the natural color of your teeth. It is a proven method for dealing with staining and discoloration. But you need to understand the pros and …
Partial dentures are natural-looking dental devices that are used to replace missing teeth. The dentures, which are removable, are typically used when the patient has one or more missing teeth but still have a lot …
The All-on-4 method is said to be one of the best tooth replacement options that currently exist. Many people who need to have their teeth replaced consider this method because of the results. However, some …