A family dentist such as GK Dental PC can help individuals figure out the cause of bad breath and perform appropriate treatments. There are many products out there that are aimed towards freshening bad breath such as mints, mouthwashes and sprays. Most of these products only mask the bad smells coming from the mouth.
Having bad breath is often a sign there is something wrong. It might be an indicator that oral hygiene practices are inadequate, a symptom of a dental issue like an infected tooth or a health condition like a gastrointestinal problem.
Medically called halitosis, bad breath affects about 30% of people in the U.S., and it typically will not go away until the underlying cause is addressed.
A family dentist explains how bad breath occurs
As was mentioned earlier, there are a variety of reasons why a person might have bad breath. Here are some of the more common causes of bad breath cases a family dentist deals with:
- Strong smelling foods: Many spices that make food taste great can also leave a person's mouth smelling awful afterward. Foods like onions, garlic, curry, fish and cheese are known for their strong smells. These smells can stick around for hours after the meal. The smells from foods can be minimized by brushing after meals.
- Tobacco products: Smoking or chewing tobacco products can lead to bad breath and other health issues. These products also damage healthy tissues in the mouth and promote tooth decay.
- Poor diet: Consuming unhealthy foods that are rich in sugars or low in carbs can lead to bad breath. Additionally, diets that are high in proteins but low in carbs can also cause foul odors in the oral cavity. Such diets can lead to the release of more sulfurous gases than usual since protein is harder to digest. Eating a healthy diet helps to avoid this, and green veggies and fruits help to keep teeth clean.
- Dry mouth: Having bad breath can also be a sign that a person's mouth is dryer than it should be. Oral bacteria thrive in dry environments so they get to produce more offensive odors. A person's mouth might become dry as a result of being dehydrated or taking certain medications. Addressing the source of the patient's dry mouth often leads to fresher breath.
- Medical issues: There are also certain medical conditions that can lead to bad breath. These include diabetes, kidney issues, respiratory infections and some blood disorders. In rare cases, bad breath can be a sign of cancer. When suffering from chronic bad breath, it may be best to consult with a family dentist and doctor to determine if it is a warning sign of something more serious.
- Dental issues: A person might also have bad breath due to dental problems they have. Issues like tooth decay, infections and gum disease all cause bad breath and require the expertise of a family dentist to address it.
Eliminate bad breath
When looking for more information on bad breath, it can be helpful to consult with a family dentist. Questions can be answered and an evaluation can be performed in order to determine if there are any underlying issues. Reach out today to GK Dental PC to find out more!
Check out what others are saying about our services on Yelp: Read our Yelp reviews.
Clear aligners and braces are two of the most popular options patients explore when looking to correct alignment issues. Both options work by slowly pushing the patient's teeth to a better alignment …
Temporomandibular disorders, more commonly called TMD, are ailments that cause pain and dysfunction of the jaw joint and the surrounding nerves and muscles. Some patients live with the discomfort for years while …
Most general dentists offer professional teeth whitening as a way to address mild to moderate stains on teeth. However, some patients are hesitant as they fear the bleaching agent used in professional …
At some point, you may experience tooth loss and consider denture implants. Unfortunately, having missing teeth can cause you to feel embarrassed. You might find that you cover your mouth when smiling …